The psoriasis diet does not cure the disease. But a person who does not adhere to the principles of a healthy diet and eats foods that cause allergic dermatitis increases the risk of relapse. This skin disease is incurable, but if a psoriasis patient follows medical recommendations, he is actively treated and controls nutrition, thereby prolonging remissions and facilitating the course of an attack if the disease worsens. Therefore, you need to know what you can and what you cannot eat if psoriasis is diagnosed.
General principles of the diet for psoriasis
A food table listing allowed and prohibited foods will help you diet properly. If a single food product is not indicated in front of the name in the "can" column, this group is prohibited in the diet of a person diagnosed with psoriasis.
|Product||Power||It is forbidden|
|Legumes||Soybeans, lentils, peas in small quantities|
|Green||Lettuce, dill, parsley, chives, lettuce|
|Sour milk||Little fat||fat|
|canned food||Pickles, marinades, fish, meat|
|cereals||Buckwheat, oatmeal, millet, barley||semolina, rice|
|Dairy products||Reduced fat content|
|Meat||dietary meat||Fatty varieties, lard, smoked products, including sausages|
|Beverages||Mineral water, table water||Coffee, tea, alcohol, freshly squeezed and packaged juices|
|Vegetables||Beets, carrots, cabbage, onions, squash, corn||Paprika, tomatoes|
|Nuts, seeds||Almonds, pine nuts, pumpkin, flax seeds, sunflower seeds|
|seasonings||Cumin, garlic||Vinegar, salt, hot spices|
|Fish, seafood||Fresh and lean varieties||Caviar, smoked fish, salted fish, crabs, shrimps, mussels, lobsters|
|Sweets||Natural, jelly, jam, compote, fruit drink||Honey, chocolate, sugar, sweets|
|Dried fruit||Dried plums, dried apricots, raisins||Candied fruit|
|Cheese||Curd||Fatty varieties, with mold|
|Fruit||Apples, pears, melon, watermelon, pineapple, mango, kiwi||Citrus fruits, oranges, mandarins, lemons|
|Oven||Macaroni, wholemeal bread||Baking, white flour dough|
|exotic||Soy sauce, various sauces|
|Berries||Blueberries, cranberries, blueberries, cranberries, currants||Strawberry Raspberry|
It is useful for people with psoriasis to consider when compiling a menu what you need:
- Refrain from legumes. Beans, lentils, peanuts, soybeans are foods that are consumed in moderation, despite being rich in zinc and B vitamins.
- Include vegetable and nut oils in the diet, with the exception of soy and peanut, which are rich in polyunsaturated acids. Avoid butter and margarine.
- Vegetables and salads are useful, so dill, parsley, basil, lettuce, feathered onions are included in the daily diet. These products are rich in vitamins and minerals, support the body, saturate with nutrients, strengthen the immune system.
- Choose fermented milk and dairy products, such as cheeses, milk, kefir, cottage cheese, yogurt, low-fat and sugar-free. They contain calcium, which has a beneficial effect on the skin and blocks inflammation in psoriasis.
- Refuse canned food. There are almost no vitamins, but a lot of spices, salt, vinegar.
- There are buckwheat, barley, millet, oatmeal. Semolina and rice (especially peeled, custard) are excluded, as they contain a lot of starch, they contribute to weight gain.
- Choose diet meats: chicken, turkey, rabbit, beef, and lean lamb. Steam or boil meat dishes. Salo, pork, fatty poultry are contraindicated in psoriasis.
- Drink plenty of liquids, lightly carbonated or table mineral water, unsweetened compotes, herbal teas. But give up on freshly squeezed juices, in which there are a lot of essential oils. Sufficient fluid intake maintains the health of the skin and all internal organs.
- Refuse fruits and vegetables that cause allergies and cause dermatitis.
- Do not eat citrus fruits and berries that contain red pigment: raspberries, strawberries, pomegranates. But cranberries, cranberries, blueberries, blueberries, blackberries, black currants, on the contrary, must be in the diet of a person with psoriasis. During remission, pineapple, mango, kiwi are useful, and green apples and bananas are best eaten in the oven. Melon, pears are used as a separate dish.
- Include fresh nuts and seeds in your diet, such as walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds. Refuse varieties that often cause allergies, such as hazelnuts.
- There are fish - low-fat varieties with white meat, pink salmon, because they are rich in omega acids, but exclude red caviar, seafood and surimi.
- From sweets, prefer natural ones, for example, fruit jelly, jam, marshmallow. Suitable dried apricots, prunes, raisins. But chocolate, honey, caramel, sweets, cookies are contraindicated for people with psoriasis.
- From baked goods, choose products from wholemeal flour, refuse muffins and pasta with wheat flour of the highest quality, products that include sugar, butter.
- Avoid spicy, salty, pickled, exotic foods like soy sauce because it is high in salt and fermented beans.
- Be careful with the eggs. Boiled chicken, eat no more than 2 times a week, eat quail eggs, especially yolks. They are believed to fight relapses of the disease.
Permitted and useful products
Useful products for psoriasis should be:
- rich in nutrients, vitamins, minerals;
- dietary, thin;
The list of foods that can be eaten with psoriasis is extensive, and a person with a skin disease should prepare a daily diet so that the meals are complete and varied. The menu is made taking into account the fact that most of the diet (up to 80%) should be of vegetable origin.
For example, fruits with psoriasis can be eaten every day. Citrus fruits and canned preserves are an exception. Oranges, lemons, tangerines can cause a severe allergic reaction, a rash and provoke a relapse of the disease. There is a lot of sugar in canned food and hardly any vitamins remain. It is best to combine berries and fresh fruit with low-fat yogurt or coarse-grained cottage cheese.
Vegetables such as cabbage, carrots, beets are especially useful. Of these, it is quick and easy to prepare salads, in which sunflower, cedar, pumpkin seeds can be added.
The list of products that make up the menu of a person with psoriasis necessarily includes white fish, lean meats, which are a source of amino acids needed by the brain and the whole body to maintain immunity.
The allowed list also includes legumes, such as soy, chickpeas, peas, greens and yellows, lentils, and beans. These foods are rich in zinc, which is essential for people with psoriasis. However, excessive consumption of legumes in food loads the digestive tract and aggravates the course of the disease.
What not to eat with psoriasis
Foods prohibited for psoriasis cause inflammation, dermatitis and aggravate the course of the disease. Some of them can be consumed in moderation in the remission phase.
A person who has been diagnosed with a skin condition should be careful with food, as some of it can only be consumed in a certain form. For example, nuts for psoriasis should be eaten raw, but not fried, unsalted. Hazelnuts, cashews, other exotic varieties are contraindicated because they cause allergies.
When buying a product, be sure to pay attention to the appearance and expiration date. Almonds or moldy walnuts, a "stinky" product that has passed the expiration date, are prohibited.
In no case should you eat canned food with psoriasis. It has few nutrients, but a lot of salt, pepper, vinegar, and other spices. These products cause allergic reactions, dehydrate the body, irritate the digestive tract.
With psoriasis it is strictly forbidden to drink alcoholic, carbonated drinks, packaged juices, coffee, strong tea, cocoa.
Nutrition for psoriasis for a woman or a man should be fractional. A person should eat 4-6 times a day, eat small portions, chew thoroughly.
The optimal time for the last meal is 2 hours before going to bed. This mode reduces the load on the gastrointestinal tract.
Food for psoriasis should be varied, but combining too many foods in one dish is not recommended.
How to eat right with psoriasis: a sample menu for a week
The menu for psoriasis should be diverse, because the body needs vitamins, minerals and nutrients. There is no need to overload the intestines by combining as many components as possible in one dish. For every day it is better to prepare simple meals, gradually eliminating unsuitable foods from the diet.
In the treatment of psoriasis, the diet also depends on the stage and course of the disease. For example, during relapses, they eat mashed, steamed and boiled dishes that do not contain salt, sugar, spices. The fruit, especially apples and bananas, is cooked and the "exotics" are discarded.
For breakfast, a person with psoriasis can eat porridge boiled in water (buckwheat, oatmeal, millet, corn). You can dress them with dried fruit, fresh berries, yogurt. Snack on well-cooked apples, bananas, oatmeal cookies. You can drink a glass of low-fat kefir or a cup of weak, unsweetened green tea.
The Lenten lunch consists of vegetable soups and meat or fish dishes. Lean boiled lamb, beef, chicken with a side of fresh vegetables or a cabbage and carrot salad dressed with vegetable oil will do.
For dessert, you can eat natural fruit mousses, fresh fruit and berry fruit salads, jellies, marshmallows and low-sugar marshmallows. If the disease is in remission, limited consumption of honey is allowed and it is best to abstain from butter at any stage of the disease.
The diet for psoriasis patients consists of about 80% of plant foods, cereals, fruits, vegetables and dishes based on them. Foods rich in fiber, vitamins, mineral salts support the digestive function of the organism, strengthen the immune system, prolong remission and greatly facilitate the course of the disease.
Salads for psoriasis are made with fruit or vegetables and dressed with low-fat natural yogurt or vegetable oil. A simple recipe of vegetable salad that never gets boring, based on cabbage, beets, carrots is suitable as a snack or side dish.
- A large carrot.
- One medium beet.
- White or Peking cabbage, a quarter of a head.
Preparation of the salad:
- Wash the vegetables well under running water with a brush, you can pour them over the boiling water.
- Clean the beets and carrots. Remove the top leaves from the cabbage.
- Rub the root vegetables on a coarse grater or cut them into thin strips.
- Chop the cabbage.
- Put in a deep bowl. Season with vegetable oil.
- Mash with a fork to release the juices from the vegetables.
In such a salad, you can add fresh herbs, fresh cucumbers and zucchini. A combination of greens and a handful of fresh berries, cranberries or cranberries will suddenly ring, giving the salad a tart flavor. A handful of nuts, sunflower seeds, or pumpkins will also come in handy.
Soups with psoriasis are best cooked in vegetable broth. You can eat mushroom and vegetable soups topped with low-fat yogurt. Soups on low-fat kefir are also useful, for example, holodnik.
For lunch, champignon puree soup with leeks is suitable.
- champignons - 500 g;
- a small leek;
- greens, parsley, dill;
- wholemeal bread crumbs.
Preparation of mushroom soup:
- Wash all ingredients thoroughly.
- Cut the mushrooms into quarters, cut the leeks into rings.
- Finely chop the herbs and garlic.
- In a saucepan, boil the mushrooms and onions in a little water until tender.
- Add the aromatic herbs and chopped fresh garlic.
- Wait for the liquid to boil.
- Remove from heat and whisk until smooth.
The soup can be topped with yogurt. To be eaten with toasted wholemeal bread.
For the second, steamed chicken cutlets or baked fish fillets are suitable.
For baked fish you will need:
- 400 g of lean fillets, such as carp, cod, pike, hake;
- a small carrot;
- a light bulb;
- greens, dill, parsley;
- Wash the carrots and mushrooms well.
- Clean the bulb.
- Coarsely grate the carrots or cut them into strips.
- Cut the onion into rings.
- Mushrooms cut in half.
- Finely chop the vegetables.
Pour a little water into a pan and arrange the grated carrots, onions, herbs, mushrooms, fish fillets and more vegetables in layers so that the mushrooms are on top. Cover the form with parchment paper or a suitable lid and place in a preheated oven. Cook the dish for a quarter of an hour.
For desserts, you can eat oatmeal cookies, marshmallows, marshmallows and desserts made from natural fruits, berries, nuts, but without sugar. An example of these can be raw food pies, which use dates, almonds, sunflower seeds and even buckwheat.
For dinner or breakfast, protein omelettes with fresh peas are suitable. However, you shouldn't lean on egg dishes. They can be eaten 2-3 times a week if the disease is in remission.
Care should be taken with festive dishes, as it is not customary to refuse food at a party. It is okay if a person with psoriasis in remission allows himself once a month to get away from the usual menu without abusing prohibited foods. The only things you should really abstain from are alcoholic beverages, chocolate, and coffee.
If a person with psoriasis is waiting for guests, there will be no problems. There are hundreds of dietary and vegetarian dishes that are not ashamed to treat the king himself.
Variety of diets
The existing diets for psoriasis are based on different principles. For example, Dr. Pegano, author of Dietary Nutrition for Psoriasis, suggested that the key factor in relieving disease and prolonging remission is a mono diet for 3-5 days and bowel cleansing. The doctor believes that the key to treating psoriasis lies in the pH balance, so he has included alkaline foods that heal the body on the list of allowed foods.
However, a person needs acids, because psoriasis does not develop if the pH of the environment is optimal.
Diet D. Pegano
The essence of dietary nutrition according to the American Dr. Pegano method is to follow the stages of the diet and include certain foods in the daily diet.
The Pegano diet consists of fresh fruit and vegetables. However, apples, bananas and melons are considered a separate independent dish. They are used in cooked form.
A person with psoriasis starts with a so-called fasting diet and chooses between:
- single-fruit diet, which is observed for 5 days;
- apple, which adheres for 3 days.
Furthermore, the treatment includes:
- Physical healing exercises for the spine, because Dr. Pegano saw a connection between relapses and a back problem. The fact is that damaged vertebral discs pinch nerve endings and blood vessels, and impaired blood flow provokes a psoriatic relapse.
- Visit beauty salons, baths and saunas, therapeutic baths. The procedures cleanse the skin, remove toxins from the body.
- Effective stress management, from meditating to reading and listening to your favorite music. The lower the stress level, the lower the risk of relapse.
People with psoriasis include in their daily diet:
- cereals and bran;
- lean meats and fish;
- dairy and low-fat sour-milk products (milk, curdled milk, buttermilk, yogurt);
- porridge boiled in water;
- whole grain bread.
Approximate weekly menu according to Dr. Pegano:
- On the first day, buckwheat porridge for breakfast, for lunch - vegetable soup and fresh vegetable salad, for dinner - baked or boiled fish fillet with lettuce leaves. You can have a fruit snack, fresh and baked.
- On the second day, you can eat a protein omelette with vegetables for breakfast, have dinner with grated broccoli and leek soup, and, for dinner, eat boiled chicken fillet with peas or asparagus beans.
- The third day includes kefir or natural yogurt for breakfast, barley with vegetables and mushrooms for lunch, fresh vegetable salad and chicken for dinner.
- On day 4, you can have breakfast with cottage cheese, drink chamomile tea, dine on lean fish chowder, snack on baked grapes or apple, and dine on vegetable salad.
- The fifth day includes celery salad for breakfast, wholemeal pasta with vegetables for lunch, cream soup or cabbage soup with wholemeal croutons for dinner. You can snack on any fruit from the allowed list or a handful of nuts / seeds.
- On the sixth day, you can have breakfast with a coarse-grained cottage cheese casserole, a snack with low-fat yogurt, and for lunch, eat baked trout with vegetables.
- Finally, the last 7 days include dishes such as carrot salad for breakfast, borscht for lunch, buckwheat or barley porridge with vegetables or chicken breast.
According to the doctor, a special alkaline diet relieves the manifestations of psoriasis, which heals the skin and joints and improves immunity. For a month, you should abstain from carbohydrates and protein foods.
During an exacerbation of the disease, doctors recommend that people take sorbents and drink chamomile tea half an hour before meals.
Most of the foods that the doctor has included in the developed diet are alkaline, with a pH level of 7-14. Fried and smoked foods are contraindicated. A person should eat boiled, non-fat baked, stewed foods.
Once every 7 days, doctors recommend that people with psoriasis "flush" their intestines. The whole day a person consumes one of the products:
- fermented milk, cottage cheese or kefir;
One day of fasting does not mean a hunger strike, because it is strictly forbidden to exhaust the body during a psoriatic relapse.
Additionally, you need:
- include lecithin in the daily diet;
- eating 5 times a day, eating roughly the same calorie portions or dividing the diet into three main meals and two snacks;
- stop smoking.
The diet includes a lot of plant foods and reduces protein intake:
- Fruits and vegetables, especially berries (grapes, cherries), nectarines, pineapple, mango and papaya. Before eating, the fruits and berries are thoroughly washed, the skin is removed. Vegetables, cabbage, carrots, broccoli, cucumbers are used as a side dish, in salads, in soups. However, they will bring greater benefits if they are eaten fresh, not heat treated.
- Cereals, wholemeal bread, pasta, buckwheat, durum wheat, unrefined flour.
- Dietary meat and sea fish.
- Greens, seeds.
- Eggs and low-fat dairy products.
- Vegetable oils.
- Dried apricots, raisins, plums, dates.
In limited quantities, a person with psoriasis can eat mushrooms, nuts, honey, and grapefruit. It is recommended to drink table or mineral water, herbal teas, indicated for psoriasis.
The foods on the menu contain essential nutrients that a person with a skin condition needs:
- vitamins, minerals;
- polyunsaturated fatty acids;
- zinc, calcium.
For example, for breakfast you can eat cottage cheese or yogurt with fruit or cereals, for lunch - soups on vegetable broth, even mashed, have dinner with fish, vinaigrette, pasta made from wholemeal flour. You shouldn't include porridge and cottage cheese or soup and porridge in one meal, but fresh fruits and vegetables can be present in every meal. For dessert, you can make a smoothie or fruit salad.
More tips and tricks
Dietary nutrition varies depending on which part of the body covers psoriasis. A person still builds a diet based on the composition of the products and the method of cooking, but adjusts the list of allowed and prohibited foods, taking into account psoriatic manifestations.
For example, nutrition for scalp psoriasis excludes many spices and onions, garlic, horseradish and mustard. Heavy fried foods, rich pastries, scrambled eggs and pasta are also contraindicated.
In foods that have undergone prolonged heat treatment, few vitamins remain, and in baked goods with the addition of sugar, whole milk, butter, there is no fiber that a person with psoriasis needs to stimulate digestive functions.
During an exacerbation of psoriasis, the diet should be strict, consisting exclusively of boiled, stewed, pureed food, hypoallergenic vegetables, fruits, berries and cereals on water.
It is necessary to consume minerals and vitamins in addition and make sure that the diet contains as much plant fiber as possible.
Diet for weight loss in psoriasis
Obesity and overweight negatively affect the course of psoriasis, because the disease primarily affects the skin folds. In obese people, psoriasis can be more severe and relapses last longer, because obesity negatively affects the cardiovascular and musculoskeletal systems of the body. Therefore, if a person weighs a lot and notices the manifestations of a skin disease, he should lose weight.
The best results can be obtained by combining a strict diet and moderate exercise. You can start exercises after the exacerbation has passed and the disease has subsided.
Six principles that people with psoriasis should adhere to in order to lose weight and improve the course of the skin disease:
- You can't completely rule out carbohydrates, but you can and should: fatty foods. The exception is fish rich in polyunsaturated acids.
- Include in the diet anti-inflammatory foods, cereals, flaxseed meal, unrefined vegetable oils, especially extra virgin olive oil, fresh fish, but not smoked or salted.
- Exclude foods that cause inflammatory processes, such as potatoes, paprika, eggplant.
- Drink enough liquids, water, lightly carbonated mineral water.
- Exercise moderately, visit the pool, sauna, as soon as the disease enters the stage of remission.
- Manage your stress. This is a whole science that allows you to control emotions and thus refrain from impulsively eating junk food, sweets, pickles, which "help calm" anxious people.
Effective diets for weight loss include any diet indicated for psoriasis, because they follow three basic principles of a healthy diet:
- Exclusion of unhealthy food.
- Sufficient fluid intake.
- Fractional nutrition.
A person with psoriasis should monitor their condition during treatment and independently exclude all foods that aggravate the course of the disease, even if they are on the list of allowed ones.